Yesterday I posted a rant about a friend who feeds her children a ton of junk because “healthy” food tastes nasty to her. So I actually created a list of healthy snacks that taste sweet, that are quick to make and some of which are pretty inexpensive(others which are not). A lot of these snacks are snacks that are very common and completely heard of. This list isn’t meant to provide new kid-friendly healthy snacks, but merely to emphasize and reiterate what is already out at your disposal, that doesn’t require a ton of time to make, doesn’t require a lot to purchase, and that a child can make on his/her own depending on the ages.
So here goes:
1. Apple slices and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. I recommend using small granny apples(not the large ones). Cut the apple in 5 sections, and allow the child to dip the apple slices in the peanut butter. Quick, tasty, common and inexpensive, and under 200 calories with plenty of protein, vitamins, and just enough sweetness to satisfy taste buds.
2. Angel Food Cake. Cut a thin slice , top the slice with 3 sliced strawberries, and light whip cream. Again relatively inexpensive, sweet, light, and fluffy tasting. Great for vitamins, and low in fat and less than 200 calories.
3. Graham crackers and bananas. I recommend half of a banana-cut in slices-and two graham cracker sheets. Simply put 3 banana slices on each gram cracker sheet and put a little whip cream on top and bon petit. Inexpensive, great for potassium and iron, and very tasty.
4. Slightly frozen Blueberries and Hershey sauce. Put 1/2 a cup of blueberries in a small cup and drizzle the blueberries with Hershey’s chocolate sauce and half a packet of splenda to top it off. Put in the freezer for 40-60 minutes. Taste like chocolate covered fruit. And very good cold. Full of antioxidants, and vitamins and under 200 calories.
5. Frozen Vanilla yogurt cups with assortments. Use Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla small yogurt cups. Place in freezer for about an hour and half, take out and have children add a variety of their favorite ingredients-smashed gram cracker pieces, strawberries, chocolate sauce, a few pieces of candy, etc. Low in calories, great dairy and low in fat.
6. Cinnamon teddy bears with cream cheese and strawberries. Using only about 15 Teddy grams, light cream cheese of any flavor (preferably one under 100 calories) and a few strawberries. Mix it all in a bowel and the children are sure to enjoy.
7. Frozen Citrus. Using either Oranges, Clementines, Grapefruits or pineapples. Place the selected fruit in the freezer for up to 2 and half hours. Take out the orange (or fruit out) cut in half or in pieces, grab a spoon, dig in, and enjoy!